January 6, 2011

Faith and Pop Culture

Sometimes I feel like I too easily accept whatever entertainment the culture sends my way—although my kids may feel that I am a too-strict guardian about what comes into my house. I struggle to know where to draw the line. Faith and Pop Culture, part of the Christianity Today Study Series, examines various aspects of today’s entertainment culture, from movies, videogames and TV to books and sports. I am always looking for books for my small group to study together and this eight-week study is one I will definitely suggest. Faith and Pop Culture begins each chapter with an essay or article about the week’s topic. Readers then reflect on their views about such entertainment as violent video games, for example. I love that readers are directed toward scripture in order to clarify their beliefs and are challenged to put them into practice. It makes me reconsider what I watch, read, listen to, etc. Recently I noticed that a Wii videogame we play (rated for ages 10 and up) had characters swearing and giving the crowd the finger when they won. I didn't even notice for the first few times I played. Do we give away the game, or just turn down the volume and opt to not play the player with the rude gestures? Why is it so hard to just toss the game?

No comments:

Post a Comment