March 22, 2012

Chomp: A new children's novel by Carl Hiaasen--Guest Review!

Hey, I'm Maddy, Tracy's sixteen year old daughter. Yes, the one who stole Cinder, then failed to review it. Sorry about that. 

Anyway, this is another book that I grabbed as soon as I saw it on the kitchen table, and I am so glad I did. I have read all of Carl Hiaasan's kid books and loved them. I knew this would be no different.

The story centers around a boy named Wahoo Cray, the son of a renowned animal wrangler in the Florida everglades. His dad has been unable to work due to being hit on the head by a frozen Iguana--yes it sounds weird, but stay with me. They are hired to work for a popular survival reality show and seem to be the only people who see just how fake the show is. They deal with an obnoxious star and many odd problems that are clearly his fault. I'm not going to go any farther into the story, because I want you to read it for yourself. 

What I really love is that it is a children's book. It has a bit of drama and fear, without being all about the dark. It isn't really deep, but it does have some depth. It is funny and crazy without losing its meaning in the jokes. In short, it is a perfect book for those who want to enjoy a story without all the darkness and adult themes you get in a lot of books today. This is marketed to 10-12 year olds (a remarkably narrow age range), but it will be enjoyed by all ages.

Note from Tracy:  The book is available on March 27, 2012 and, as you can see from the cover illustration, Barnes and Noble is including "a mini-magazine featuring Carl Hiaasen interviewing Derek Badger, the reality-TV host from the book."

No comments:

Post a Comment