March 14, 2012

Still: Notes on a Mid-Faith Crisis (Review)

Note:  My book reviews have been scattered throughout many forums (depending on the type of book) and I have decided consolidate them all here.  That was, after all, the original reason for the blog--no, I take that back, it was the secondary reason, but the primary reason has long-since evaporated. 


Still: Notes on a Mid-Faith Crisis by Lauren Winner

This is a book I am going to have to muse over for a while before I know what I think.  It is a thoughtfully and beautifully written account of the recent crisis of faith and of life that she found herself facing. I identified with some of the aspects of her feeling of facing a wall and of wondering what she really believed. I think this happens to many Christians--especially those who don't have the courage to talk through these issues with their friends.  Talking about this does require a large measure of courage because some people are very quick to give pat answers when one of their own questions their faith.

Now for spoilers:  Her descriptions of depression, anxiety attacks and OCD behavior left me wondering whether her original crisis was more a mental health issue that left her feeling unsure of her spiritual foundations.  I am not downplaying the spiritual aspect, but if an anti-depressant left her feeling like her old self (albeit with unacceptable side effects), perhaps she should consider finding a better medication while she works through this with a good therapist, rather than avoiding medication entirely. I hope that doesn't sound snarky, because I mean it in all seriousness.  When a person's life is impaired by the need to repeatedly check on whether the stove is off, or has the inability to get up off the floor, this is not necessarily a crisis of faith, but more likely a crisis of mental well-being.  That being said, I pray for God's blessing on Lauren's life and His guidance on whatever help she needs to walk through this time.  

1 comment: